INC NEWS - County Tax Flexibility

bragin at nc.rr.com bragin at nc.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 12:28:24 EDT 2007

One of the considerations of any tax has to be fairness of the tax burden. The county needs to be considering how to eliminate the remaining 2% sales tax on grocery items, and thinking about whether it's possible to eliminate the sales tax on children's clothing, for example, if we're really serious about reducing the burden on those living with fixed incomes.

In order to do that, other replacement revenue streams are going to be needed. Just because purchases of food and clothing may be less subject to fluctuation in good times or bad is no reason to require that lower income folks pay a higher portion of their income than others into the tax system.

Barry Ragin
---- Reyn Bowman <Reyn at Durham-cvb.com> wrote:

True but this person intimated that if you chart one vs. the other over the long haul, you'll see one with exaggerated ups and downs and the other more consistent.