INC NEWS - City Council Meeting Monday, 8/20 @ 7:00 PM: Agenda Item #25

Cleveland Holloway clevelandholloway at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 23:25:29 EDT 2007

Hello Cleveland-Holloway and surrounding neighbors,

It has been a tremendous few weeks, and I thank you all again for your
concern about the process and for the actions you have taken to ultimately
make a better Durham for everyone!

We are on the agenda for the meeting tomorrow (8/20 @ 7:00 pm):
http://www.durhamnc.gov/agendas/2007/cm_082007.cfm.  In preparation,  I have
summarized some of the main reasons we are disputing the land transfers, in
no particular order.  As I understand it, individuals may sign up to speak
to the agenda item, but should arrive prior to 7:00 pm to sign up:

1)  Many of us (according to the City, over 20 people) expressed interest in
the two properties, were told we would be contacted once the properties went
for sale, yet were not contacted.  The Council voted without knowing about
this expressed interest.

2)  Neither the City nor the non-profits contacted our neighborhood (even
those with homes directly neighboring the properties in question) for our
input and feedback. We have affordable housing, a nearby shelter and social
services center, numerous boarding homes, and subsidized housing.  Missing
however, as expressed by neighbors, many of whom have disabling conditions,
and/or are elderly, are services they can walk to, such as a grocery store
or community center.

3)  The Cleveland-Holloway neighborhood has an abundance of affordable
housing, both for rent and for sale. We have rich historic homes badly in
need of care.  We need to match these abandoned homes with those in need of
housing, including both affordable rental and home ownership opportunities.
Many individuals have only boarded up homes as neighbors.   (On a side note,
I would be glad to provide a "tour" of our neighborhood to anyone
interested, which would better illustrate these points.)

Regarding Patrick Baker's recommendation to market the properties by way of
a  30-day sealed bid process, our concern is that, particularly given the
context of this issue, that the City should have as transparent of a process
as possible.  Please urge the City Council members to utilize the upset bid
process instead to ensure the bidding is completed in an open and clear
manner. Also, given the number of years the City has held the property, and
the fact that the neighborhood has not had a plan for almost 20 years, we
think it fair to have at least 90 days to formulate a neighborhood plan
prior to marketing the properties.

Your ongoing support is appreciated!  Please do continue to circulate the
petition for the meeting, found here:
http://www.petitiononline.com/clevehol/petition.html.<http://www.petitiononline.com/clevehol/petition.html>

We look forward to helping increase home occupancy and ownership per the 10-
year plan to end homelessness as well as participate in Durham's
revitalization process to create stronger and more stable neighborhoods.

Sincerely,

--Eleni Vlachos / Cleveland-Holloway Neighborhood
http://clevelandholloway.blogspot.com/