INC NEWS - solid waste findings last week

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Tue Sep 4 00:00:41 EDT 2007

I had the opportunity to interview two solid waste crews last week while
they were out picking up our trash. They were all receptive to answering a
couple questions I had and this is what I found out.

They go to the transfer station twice a day. It doesn't matter if they are
full or not, that's their schedule. They said the amount of trash they
pick up on routes vary from route to route and seasonally. They also said
that it usually takes 10 minutes for them to dump their load and be
heading back to their assigned route. I asked what the worst case scenario
was as far as dumping their loads at the transfer station and they both
had the same reply; 30-40 minutes. They said this was not the norm, so
apparently dumping their loads is a fast and painless activity (most of
the time). They indicated the holdups were always relative to the transfer
station dealing with the waste and it had nothing to do with the trucks
(that must wait for the transfer station to allow them to dump).

I also set about trying to be a "solid waste worker for a day". I spoke
with Wanda Page who is the Deputy City Manager (Solid Waste is one of her
departments) about it and she is checking to see if it is possible. I also
spoke to Human Resources and then to the preferred contractor for
temporary employees (for Solid Waste) to see if I could go that route as
well (if it didn't work for the City as a "worker for a day"). I told
everyone what I was doing and was up-front with them all about why I
wanted to do this. Mrs. Page has never had such a request in her time
within the administration and said she'd look into it, but the temp firm
said they thought it was possible from their end. So if everything goes as
planned, I'll be able to see first hand how all of this works and what
doesn't. At least, at that point, when I talk about these concerns, I will
have ridden a mile in their shoes. We talked about "shadowing" a truck for
a day but determined that might be a traffic hazard. We also talked about
riding along in the truck, but that wouldn't allow me to experience the
back end loading area where everything takes place when dumping carts.

It's a long (no pun intended) way up the ladder from where the experienced
Solid Waste crews I spoke with and the Director see the picture. I'm not
saying that what we keep hearing doesn't make sense to someone, but if you
guys have followed this dialogue, there seems to be a different opinion at
the top as opposed to those who actually do the work (or us as citizens
even). In talking to one of the crews (driver was already heading toward
the next trash can while we were walking and talking), one of the men
actually picked up 2 pieces of litter on the way to the next cart. This to
me just shows the concern these folks have about litter (and it hadn't
blown off the truck). At the next cart, the driver jumped out and we had
our little pow-wow. One said the bagged waste was good (that's our
ordinance) and the other said it made no sense since once the can is
dumped, the hydraulic pushing assembly (I don't know what this mechanism
at the back of the truck is actually called) breaks the bag, and then when
it returns to the standby position, the compacted trash falls back into
the dumping area (I saw this happen for myself). So it may have started
out in a bag, but the bag gets destroyed in the first maneuver the rear
loader does once the cart is emptied. So we're back to loose trash again.

I doubt I'll be able to see it "all" in one day, but everyone I spoke with
(on the Solid Waste trucks) thought that there could be hazardous wastes
in the black plastic bags that they pick up. But how would anyone ever
know if it can not be seen by those who empty the carts. I saw a
florescent light tube sticking out of a neighbors can this week and it
disappeared. This type of waste should be delt with in a different manner.
Just dumping carts into a truck without ever caring what is in it has to
change. Like I said, the first time we're caught transporting hazardous
waste to the Virginia landfill, well, it might be our last trip there...

No one came from Solid Waste to our INC meeting this month. So addressing
anything we have been discussing was not possible.

RWP
27 Beverly