INC NEWS - Critical Mass planned in Durham tomorrow 5:35

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Sep 5 20:42:34 EDT 2007

Get on your bicycle and come join us! Here's the story from the Herald Sun.

RWP
27 Beverly

By Monica Chen : The Herald-Sun
mchen at heraldsun.com
Sep 2, 2007 : 8:39 pm ET

DURHAM -- Area bicycling enthusiasts are trying to bring Critical Mass, a
mass gathering that occurs monthly in other cities, to Durham this week.

The ride will begin at 5:35 p.m. Thursday at the bronze bull downtown at
Corcoran and Parrish streets.

Phillip Barron, an organizer of Critical Mass in Durham, said that, unlike
events attracting only dedicated Lycra-clad, helmet-wearing cyclists, this
event is for the people.

"Our design is for anyone who wants to show up. Tricycles, unicycles,
Rollerbladers ... We're happy to have anybody," Barron said. "The idea
behind critical mass is a celebration of human-powered transportation."

Barron is a columnist for The Herald-Sun and is also the semi-anonymous
cycling blogger on Nicomachus.net. He and other cyclists tried to bring
the event to Durham in 2001 and 2002, but it never gained traction.

The first Critical Mass was started in San Francisco in 1992, and was
intended to draw large numbers of cyclists to celebrate cycling and assert
cyclists' right to the road. The event has resulted in several violent
clashes between cyclists and motorists in recent years.
In April, a Critical Mass in San Francisco resulted in $5,300 in damage to
a minivan, according to The San Francisco Chronicle. The driver said
cyclists surrounded her van and smashed her rear window.
The hostility of some Critical Mass events is well-known among cyclists
themselves, some of whom reject the idea of having one in the Triangle at
all.

But Barron and participants say Critical Mass will be a peaceful ride in
the Bull City.

"I believe Durham CM will be non-confrontational, and the positive will
outweigh the negative. I trust we will be car-friendly and not piss off
any drivers," wrote Frank Ferrell, owner of Ninth Street Bakery, on
Barron's blog.

"The stereotype is a bunch of black ski mask anarchist who want to
overturn every car they see and set it on fire," said Barron. "We don't
have that kind of subculture [in Durham]."

Barron hopes that about 50 cyclists will come out to the event on Thursday.