INC NEWS - City Reminds Residents to Conserve Water

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Sat Sep 8 00:00:48 EDT 2007

>From the City Public Affairs Office.

RWP
27 Beverly

Durham, N.C. — In light of Governor Mike Easley’s call to action today
that all cities and counties implement water conservation measures, the
City of Durham is reminding residents that Stage II: Voluntary
Conservation Practices of the City’s Water Conservation Ordinance is
currently in effect and that all citizens should continue to practice
these measures in order to protect the City’s water supply levels.

According to Vicki Westbrook, deputy director of the City’s Department of
Water Management, the 10 percent water usage reduction the department had
hoped for has not happened since the City declared Stage II measures in
effect beginning Tuesday, September 4.  “While Durham has not experienced
the same level of strain on our water supply in comparison to other
communities, we still need our residents to practice water conservation
methods and reduce their consumption by a minimum of 10 percent,”
Westbrook said.  “If we’re going to ensure our current water supply is
extended, we need compliance with the voluntary measures now.  Otherwise,
we will move to mandatory restrictions and the necessary enforcement
action that accompanies it.”

According to Westbrook, daily usage has increased since the Stage II
measures went into effect, particularly when outdoor temperatures rose
above 95 degrees.  On September 4, the first day of Stage II measures,
Durham residents consumed 35.87 million gallons per day (MGD).  On
Wednesday, September 5, usage rose to 37.74 MGD, and on Thursday,
September 6, usage rose even more to 38.30 MGD.

Stage II of the ordinance asks residents to increase their level of
conservation beyond those in Stage I: Continuing Voluntary Conservation
Practices, which is in effect year-round.  Stage I encourages residents to
check fixtures for leaks and keep them in good repair, store water to
drink in the refrigerator instead of letting the tap run, take four-minute
showers instead of baths, and turn off the tap while shaving or brushing
teeth.  Residents are also encouraged to wash only full loads in clothes
washers and dishwashers.

In Stage II: Voluntary Conservation Practices, residents are asked to
continue the practices of Stage I and:

·         Limit the use of clothes washer and dishwashers and only wash
full loads.

·         Reduce toilet flushing to the minimum, whenever practical.

·         Water the lawn only when grass shows signs of withering; water
late in day after 6 p.m. if possible.

·         Limit watering of shrubs to a minimum and reuse household water
when possible.

·         Limit car washing at home.

·         Limit washing down sidewalks, driveways, patios, and other hard
surfaces.

·         Limit the hours of operation of water-cooled air conditioners.

·         Use biodegradable, disposable dishes and utensils (residential
and commercial) where feasible.

Additionally, City staff strongly advises that all customers defer the
installation of any new landscaping or sod due the intensive watering that
these new features require.  Food service establishments can also help by
only serving water to customers upon request.  City crews will continue to
conduct planned spot flushing of the distribution system for water quality
purposes during the next couple of weeks.

If dry conditions persist, the City will move to Stage III: Moderate
Mandatory Conservation measures are needed.  Some of the requirements of
Stage III include allowing residents to only water lawns during certain
days and hours and prohibits using water to wash down outside areas such
as sidewalks, patios and driveways.

City staff updates the Water Supply Status Web site daily.  Residents may
access the information from the red “hot link” on the homepage of the
City’s Web site at www.durhamnc.gov.  Additional conservation tips,
information on water-wise landscaping or how to acquire rain barrels are
also posted on the Web site.  Residents may also call the City’s
Department of Water Management at (919) 560-4381 for additional
information.

About the Department of Water Management
The City’s Department of Water Management is responsible for the operation
and maintenance of Durham's water supply, water treatment and water
reclamation (wastewater treatment) facilities, the collection and
distribution systems (including meter reading) and customer billing
services.  For more information on this department, visit the City’s Web
site at www.durhamnc.gov/departments/wm/.