INC NEWS - election reports: time changed

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Mon Oct 8 21:43:58 EDT 2007

>From the County Public Information Office.
RWP
27 Beverly

The Durham County Board of Elections announces a minor time change in
election night results reporting.

We anticipate releasing results at 8pm on election night.  This is a
change--in the past, we have released results starting at approximately
7:40pm.

There are two reasons for this change.  The main reason is that NC Law
allows voters already in line at precincts prior to the 7:30 close of
polls to vote.  We do not want to release any results while there may
still be voters waiting to cast their ballots.  Also, the additional few
minutes will allow us time to conduct a systems check and verify the
accuracy of the reporting system.

We encourage all concerned to continue to view the election night results
at the County Commissioners Chambers, 200 E. Main Street.  Historically,
everyone meets at the Chambers to view the results, make speeches, conduct
interviews etc.

We will start posting results at 8pm and hopefully be finished prior to
10pm.  In addition to the big screens at the Chambers, all results will be
posted on our website:

www.co.durham.nc.us/elec    link to election results.

VOTING IS THE CORNERSTONE OF DEMOCRACY

For more information, contact Mike Ashe, Elections Director at (919) 560-0700