INC NEWS - Let's talk about SAFETY only

bragin at nc.rr.com bragin at nc.rr.com
Tue Oct 9 11:47:33 EDT 2007

Pedestrian activities, including simply walking, are *not* permitted on controlled access highways such as NC 147 or I-85.

the Durham Walks! plan can be found here:
http://www.durhamnc.gov/durhamwalks/index.cfm

a committee to expedite the implementation of the Durham Walks plan has been formed and has met once, with another meeting scheduled for next week. Members include several city employees, and other concerned citizens. I can't speak for everyone on the committee, but my interest in this issue comes from a desire to reduce the number of trips people make in their cars by increasing both the perceived and actual safety of walking throughout the city of Durham. Many streets in the city lack sidewalks, for example, and many of those that have sidewalks are poorly designed. The sidewalk on the Duke St. bridge across I-85, for example, violates many principles of design for pedestrian safety, which is a contributing factor as to why nobody uses it. Yet Northgate Mall is within walking distance of several neighborhoods on the other side of I-85. For anyone living say, south of Murray st., walking rather than driving to the mall should be a no-brainer.

Numerous examples abound all over the city.

Certain roads are and should be restricted to high speed motor vehicles. But the vast majority of roads belong to, and should be used by, all members of the community. Designing for the safety of those on foot, bicycles, or wheelchairs , rather than restricting people using those modes of transportation, is a baseline from which the city and county need to start, rather than a goal to which we aspire.

Unless we think Atlanta and Los Angeles are good models of transportation for Durham.

Barry Ragin
---- Mike - Hotmail <mwshiflett at hotmail.com> wrote:

=============
Educate me, Barry.

I know that you personally spent several months (more than a year?) working
on Durhams Pedestrian Plan as the representative from INC.   Can you distill
some of it's recommendations for us?   I tried to find it on the City's
website www.ci.durham.nc.us but couldn't.

I guess I'm still confused about the highway connection part of this.  What
pedestrian activities are permited on the Interstate Highway System (I-85)
and local highways (like 147) that you mentioned?  Aren't most of these
'highways' located outside of Durham's city limits?  What are the specific
regulations regarding what can and what can not be allowed on them?   How
far do these regulations relate to on and off ramps?

It just doesn't make sense to me that someone (even with a permit) could
walk out into traffic (ie 70 at the Miami 5 points intersection) for any
reason other than to get out of the way!

But I'm willing to learn.

I thought that only vehicles with a minimum engine capacity were allowed on
them (thus banning people crossing highways, mopeds, bicycles etc) to ensure
seperate traffic flow from obstacles to it.

mike s.