INC NEWS - Fwd: Letter to Herald Sun--Growth & Drought--Sound Familiar?

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 10:25:58 EDT 2007

Please see the following letter to the Durham Herald
Sun in Today's paper:

______________________

Let's conserve resources by managing our growth

Gov. Mike Easley requested a 50 percent water use
reduction. On the same day Easley made the request,
Durham County Commissioners approved rezoning some
wetland areas north of Treyburn for the construction
of 175 new homes.

If we are truly strapped for water, why are we
allowing growth? After the 2002 drought, I suggested
in a letter to the editor that new building should be
allowed only when a sustainable source of water has
been identified to supply that growth. It is unfair,
in my opinion, to continue constricting the water
supply of existing residents while adding more homes
and businesses that will further strain our water
supplies. Why should we be asked to limit our showers,
etc, when our governments show no restraint in
approving growth that will only make this resource
even more scarce?
These droughts are cyclical and will continue to
occur. Ignoring that fact, and not planning for
sustainable growth will only turn this area into a
nightmare for those who live here. I wish that your
paper would address this problem instead of telling us
it is our patriotic duty to conserve every last drop
of water. Maybe running completely out of water will
wake our officials to the reality that outstripping
our water supply is an irresponsible way to manage
growth. When our governments walk the walk, then I'll
listen to them talk.

Jennifer Fortney
Durham
October 29, 2007