INC NEWS - Email of Support -On Site Preservation of the Historic Garrett Farmstead-

fitzjent at aol.com fitzjent at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 18:17:40 EST 2007

 To INC:

My name is Claire Jentsch.  I and a few friends have just started a citizen's group, newhopefordurham at yahoo.com, that is very concerned about all the Development going on in Durham.  Our first point of contention is the one Ronnie Girffin is bringing to your attention.  Ronnie is our friend and neighbor.

My group's disappointment with the Rezoning Request Z06-64 is that 308 rental units has far reaching, long term drastic consequences on Durham:

Two years ago a Request for 235 units was defeated and since then many commercial and residential developments have appeared between 15/501 and Erwin Road.  Now  Pickett Rd and Randolph have been widened.  With this new proposal the final end of Garrett Road, which also has been growing quickly between 15/501 and Hope Valley, will be widened  - paving the way for even more construction.  Building is already planned for Erwin and Cornwallis and old South Square,

The effect of the new residential area will detrimentally effect schools, traffic, water.  We will ask Council to delay the vote in order to consider what is in the public interest.  Adding more trailers, increasing impervious surfaces and further endangering the water are not.  Neglecting Mud and Hope Creeks harms Jordan Lake Reservoir which many counties rely on.

 And taxes go up for everyone.  Each additional child costs $20,000, plus the other 'fees' incurred.  Our taxes are high and our education system low.

Only the Developer comes out ahead.

With this letter I am hoping to encourage members of your organization to come out to the Monday, November 19 Durham City Council Meeting at 7 pm. to show support for a postponement of this Request and to encourage a type of moratorium on Development so we can see how to have more greenery, less pollution, happier students and teachers, etc..

We realize that NUMBERS are the most IMPORTANT leverage we have.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
 Claire Jentsch