INC NEWS - Fw: [TrinityPark] Re: How do we solve theDuke/Gregson problem?

Mike - Hotmail mwshiflett at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 16 10:14:59 EST 2007

Barry is right and his forecast of another imminent fatality is unavoidable.

Durham is considered a major college town (NCCU and Duke) and it benefits
greatly when town and gown efforts coincide.

Safety for our visiting students at the NC School of Science and Math is a
priority!

Other cities have instituted fairly simple signage and crosswalk mitigation
techniques to reduce the risks to pedestrians.

We should support their implementation here.

One that I just saw this summer was during a visit to Boulder CO.   They
have motion detected crosswalk signs that have embedded yellow flashing
lights that activate as a pedestrian walks up to the edge of the road (at a
designated crosswalk).

The additional visual cue of the flashing lights brings the motorists
attention to the presence of the pedestrian and they are able to stop in
time for them to cross.

It's a definite improvement over simple signage that is static and is mostly
ignored by many motorists.

I don't think that the cost would come near the damage done to either a
vehicle or human body!

Mike Shiflett