INC NEWS - Please help your neighbors -- sign the petition for Kestrel Heights Charter School

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 21:59:58 EST 2007

South Durham Middle School, Kestrel Heights, is asking
(the state board of education and Durham elected state
officials) that their charter be renewed for another
10 years and that they receive permission to build a
new elementary school. Please read my comments below
and sign the petition (ASAP, as time is running out)
at the link below:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/kestrelheights

We'd like 1000 signatures by week's end to make a
strong statement -- please read below the reasons for
signing:

* While Kestrel Heights receives public money to
educate children (the money follows the child so it is
only a matter of who is spending it DPS or Kestrel
Heights) it received NO taxpayer money to build its
current middle school/high school and will receive NO
taxpayer money to build a new elementary school if it
is approved.  Capital funds are not included in the
per student allotment received by charter schools --
meaning that supporting Kestrel Heights is a positive
thing for your tax bill.  In addition, more
educational options just add to Durham's desirability
as a community. Let's prove that Durham CAN plan ahead
and avert this crisis before it happens.

* Furthermore, 3-year-old Creekside Elementary School
(where my daughter is a KG student) already has FIVE
trailers which still can't accommodate the 2007
enrollment of 830 students (well above the 600 it was
built for and the 540 average for the district) .
Where are these students going to go when they get to
5th grade? We're going to need more than Lowes Grove
Middle School down here.

[Can't help but add that the rezonings (increasing
homes/acre) down here in South Durham aren't helping
this situation.]

Thanks!
Melissa

>> can also sign an online petition I created here:
>>
>> http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/kestrelheights
>>
>> Whether or not you have children this should be
>> important to you.  As both Melissa and Sherri point
>> out, the DPS system suffers from over-crowding
today
>> and it is getting worse.   While Kestrel Heights
>> receives public money to educate children (the
money
>> follows the child so it is only a matter of who is
>> spending it DPS or Kestrel Heights) it received NO
>> taxpayer money to build its current middle
>> school/high school and will receive NO taxpayer
>> money to build a new elementary school if it is
>> approved.  Capital funds are not included in the
per
>> student allotment received by charter schools.
This