INC NEWS - tax breaks +

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Wed Dec 12 00:08:47 EST 2007

Here are a couple of things I've been wondering about. Maybe you have some
thoughts on them.

Why would we need to pay this storm water runoff tax (you get it added on
your water bill six times a year) when we are in a drought? There has been
little or no runoff in the last eight months. Maybe they'll credit us for
this? Perhaps a class action lawsuit on behalf of the citizenry would
change that. It's unfair to be taxed for something if it's not happening
(like runoff).

And what about those of us who use rain barrels? Shouldn't there be a
break on both the runoff tax and the fact that we conserve water? Don't
you think they owe us something here? Or is waste better?

And fires; water used in fighting a fire is the same water we drink
(potable water from the same lines). Should we have a a number of serious
fires in the near future, what will that do to our water supply? I can see
it going down in a hurry if it comes to that.

And wouldn't a water conservation model be appropriate about now? Not just
this "stage" stuff that doesn't reward conservation. But actually changing
the revenue model to reward those who conserve (and use  collector systems
like rain barrels). Right now there is no such thing. Wouldn't it make
sense?

If we don't talk about things like these, nothing will ever change.
Wouldn't you like a bonus check from your City here at Christmas?

Now that leaf season is all over us, why do we need to use only those
expensive paper bags to put the leaves in? Certainly the cheaper plastic
leaf bags would allow those less fortunate to bag their leaves. Since it
all goes in the same truck to Virginia, why does it matter?

Any one else having Solid Waste problems? This was the first week in the
last four that it all seemed to work as it should. I'd be interested in
hearing about any. It can't just be my problem alone.

It's just the way it has been, but change needs to be the order of the
day. New situitations call for adaptation. And what are we doing? The same
old thing. It's just not good enough for us like it is. We deserve better
ideas for changing times. It's obvious what we have now isn't exactly
working. These aren't issues a wish and a prayer will fix. These issues
need leadership. Where is it...

RWP
27 Beverly