INC NEWS - Drought, lessons learned from

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 06:53:39 EST 2007

I sent the following note to Durham City Council and Durham County
Commissioners, Durham city and Durham county managers, a few reporters and
activists

I happened to have ridden over Falls Lake on Hwy 85 today [December 12] and
witnessed the lakes having trickled into a water body the size of a creek.
The lack of water causes me much anguish and frustration.

Having been interviewed yesterday about what steps I have implemented to
conserve water I thought I would put some of my water saving methods into
writing.  (I am sure that there additional measures I am doing to save on my
water consumption that are not listed here.)  You are welcome to report any
of what I have written, except where I have written off record in brackets.
(You may call or email me first to get my approval for things I have said
that are off record.)

The steps I am taking to conserve on water are:

A.  I collect water in a dishpan while the shower is running.

B.  I take showers less frequently.... Sometimes I turn the water off while
I am lathering up.  I have shortened my brief showers.

C.  I have taking taking my car to a car wash because I can do with a dirty
car.

D.  I collected and than shared water saving methods with others to
encourage people to conserve their water.  Some of the organizations I
distributed information to deal with lower income folks and for them, as
with everyone else, conservation also serves to save people money.  I
figured that once people learn what can be done that activists and other
Durham citizens may demand that changes be carried out by governmental
officials and than perhaps together we will bring these ideas into fruition.

E.  My aim in writing the Durham City Council and Durham Country
Commissioners, City and County Managers is that each governmental body will
institutionalize stronger, mandatory water conservation measures long term.
A fall back position would be to increase the number of voluntary measures
industry, business and residences are asked to follow.  At a minimum I hope
that the city¹s water conservation person and fire chief will publicize
additional measures for saving water and preventing fires on the city¹s web
page, in our water bills and in press releases.  Ideally I would like to see
people continue to conserve water after the drought is over so that water
saving measures become habit.

Water saving procedures that I continue to follow:

1.  I flush the toilet as is truly needed.

2.  I catch water while the water is warming up for showers and to wash the
dishes.

3.  I use all of the water that is collected to water plants or for
household chores.

-----------

I am concerned about our drought and how we are handling it and what
procedures we could be taking in order to decrease our usage of water.  I
have questions of governmental leaders on all levels.  Why did it take such
a long time for the government to act?  Another issue is what are the
lessons state and local elected representatives, appointed governmental
bodies and officials have learned that can be applied all of the time and
during times of droughts.  In my opinion conserving water are actions
industry, businesses as well as residences ought to be required to do year
round.

People need to understand and be reminded of the reasons for saving water.
Not only is conserving our water resources a good thing to do to preserve
our water for drinking and other bare necessities now but doing so also
extends our ability to use water in our everyday lives in the future.  We
are finding out every day what a precious resource water is.

In conclusion, the story of the drought and its implications is not going
away any time soon.  It can take years for the environment to recover
following a drought.  We did not recuperate from previous drought levels
when 2007s drought began. We will have droughts in the future.  It is only a
matter of how strenuous and the duration of the droughts.

Laura Drey

P.S.  I have a second issue that is of significant concern.  I recently
learned that directly behind my house there used to be a dry cleaning
establishment.  The state has contracted out testing of soil and water for
toxic chemicals. The contractors on site and the woman from state government
told me that they may reveal to me the test results of the soil and water.
Potentially having information withheld from me infuriates me.  I believe it
is not a matter of if the ground and water is contaminated but with what
substances and at what concentration level.

Back in the 1980s I was one of the people who worked diligently with
People¹s Alliance and North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Project
to get a strong Right to Know ordinance passed in Durham.  (Right to Know
ordinances provide workers and people who live close to companies that
handle chemicals the right to know what they are working with and living
near and the possible health consequences of exposure.)  Unfortunately the
state over rode our ordinance with a weaker bill.