INC NEWS - County Executes H2O Conservation Plans

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Mon Dec 17 23:00:59 EST 2007

Press release from Durham County.
RWP
27 Beverly

Durham, N.C. – In light of the exceptional drought in North Carolina,
water conservation is a must.  Daily Durham County’s Government discusses
strategies to make water conservation a way of life.  In recent weeks, the
County has taken the following steps to make its facilities conservation
friendly:

*	Installed more than 200 faucet aerators in15 county buildings
*	Turned off field irrigation system located at the County Stadium
*	Requested a temporary amendment of the weekly fire pump test at the
Detention Center encouraging the Fire Marshal to conduct bi-weekly testing
*	Contacted County supported organizations to present water-saving tips
*	Contacted County vendors, and maintenance providers to advise water
conservation efforts.

While the County continues to consider short-term and long-term
recommendations, its employees are encouraged to mirror water-reduction
tips at home.  On Wednesday, December 19 and Thursday, December 20, Durham
County’s General Services Department will distribute water-saving devices
to County employees free of charge.  Employees will receive a kitchen sink
aerator, two bathroom faucet aerators, and two shower heads.  The devices
have the potential to reduce water consumption by approximately 50%.

“This is the right thing to do.  We’re asking our employees to help the
County conserve water in our facilities.  Why shouldn’t we help them
conserve water in their homes,” said Mike Ruffin, Durham County Manager.

On the days of the event, the water-saving devices will be delivered to
each department.  Distribution of the devices will take place from
10:00a.m. until 2:00p.m each day.

Employees are encouraged to view an installation demonstration and ask
questions regarding conservation. For more information on Durham County’s
plan to reduce water usage, contact the General Services Department at
560-0430.