INC NEWS - Water resource in future, bigger picture, conserving water simply

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 19 07:41:51 EST 2007

In addition to water conservation there are recommendations that fall into a
bigger picture that I would urge city, county and state elected officials as
well as staff members to follow that would help long term save water.  I am
a believer of and proponent in smart growth, that is limiting development.
I would go further and have developers cover at a minimum at least some of
the cost for extending water lines and other related items for new
residential areas, shopping centers, office complexes and industries. I
whole heartedly support mandatory water conservation rules and would of
preferred that such measures were put into place a long time ago.  I believe
strongly in penalties and fees. I cannot address increases in fee structures
or surcharges in water and tired rates since I am not familiar with them.

Conservation does not rest solely with residential users.  As I said
previously industry and businesses need to be involved in conserving water
as well.

I bought a $6 gadget that can be added to an existing stem above the shower
head that can turn the water on and off while taking a shower.  I do not
support big box stores. (Among the local, independent plumbing supply stores
are Wilkinson (off Hillsborough Rd, near Fifteenth St) and Hughes Supply (at
Broadway and Rigsbee in downtown Durham.)

I listed what steps I take to save water( in Drought, lessons learned from
(on December 14) because that was a question I was specifically asked by a
reporter.  A second was had I grown tired of the drought being portrayed in
the media.  No the drought needs to continue to be covered by the media.  I
feel that pictures are a great way to show our water crisis. (She told me
that she contacted me because she had read some of my suggestions about the
drought on list serves.)

Please send the information on the drought to your neighborhood list serves
and share the information with others you know.

I appreciate other peoples recommendations about steps that can be taken now
regarding the drought.

Water is not a resource that we can take for granted.

Laura

P.S. For my other drought tips see Fire prevention; trees please; more
drought tips; events (sent on
December 11) and for a list that consolidates suggestions that includes how
much water the recommendations save on water usage see Water Saving Tips
(sent on October 15.)  If you would like me to send the email(s) on the
drought to you again let me know.