INC NEWS - stopping growth and conservation measures

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Sat Dec 29 17:59:22 EST 2007

I saw magnetic (?) signs on the Water/Sewer Dept. trucks the other day as
they were fixing a water leak over here. I don't recall exactly what they
said, but it was relative to our current water conservation measures. As
they drive around each day, perhaps others see the signs as well.

RWP
27 Beverly

> One can monitor near real-time data for inflows at Lake Michie
> http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv?site_no=02085500
>
> and at Little River:
> http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv?site_no=0208521324
>
> Despite the recent rains, the inflows are still way below median for this
> time of year, and very close to, or below, historic lows for this time of
> year. Essentially, we are still not adding enough water to our reservoirs
> to keep up with daily demand, despite that demand is down nearly 25% from
> this time last year.
>
> Rain barrels are useful. If you get 10 of them around the house, you can
> store almost an entire unit of water (750 gallons or so). Unfortunately,
> all you can do with that water is irrigate your plants and yard. You can't
> bathe with it, cook with it, clean your clothes with it, and you certainly
> can't drink it. Most people, as well, will not have 10 rain barrels around
> the house.
>
> This is the third year of the last 7 that we have experienced significant
> shortfalls in rain totals, especially during the summer and fall when
> demand is highest. Bringing the Teer Reservoir on line will add around 2
> months to our supply when it is filled, but that may take a while. Durham
> is allowed to take as much as 5 million gallons per day from the Eno to
> fill the Teer Reservoir, but only if the Eno still has flows of 10 million
> gallons per day afterwards.
>
> Interesting that increasing supply of water is a community effort, but
> reducing demand for water falls on individuals only. How much sense does
> that make?
>
> By the way, in driving through Orange County the past couple of days, i
> saw numerous signs posted by OWASA reminding people that mandatory
> conservation measures were in effect. I have not seen a single sign like
> that in Durham County.
>
> Barry Ragin
> ---- Melissa Rooney <mmr121570 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> =============
> Randy, I don't necessarily think that development
> should be STOPPED. But Durham can do it
> better...incorporating conservation (water, energy,
> topography, vegetation) into the regulations, as well
> as funding for infrastructure -- especially schools
> (as evidenced by Creeksides >40 % overcrowding).
> Chapel Hill does it, and the developers keep building
> there. Durham citizens deserve better, and we should
> stop settling for less.
>
> Melissa
>
> --- RW Pickle <randy at 27beverly.com> wrote:
>
>> While stopping growth sounds like a good idea, it
>> doesn't make cents.
>> Forget the water for a moment, it's a temporary
>> thing and the first time
>> such a shortage has ever happened. It's not because
>> we're growing at such
>> a fast pace the amount of water can't keep up with
>> it. We've just been
>> through one of the worst droughts on record, so
> [...]

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic mail (pickle at patriot.net)
immediately.