INC NEWS - MLK Parade POSTPONED TIL 2/2; other events

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 18:25:22 EST 2008

Events

Due to the prediction of inclement weather, The 6th Annual Durham MLK Parade
originally scheduled for Saturday, January 19th at 12 noon has been
postponed.  The new date is Saturday, February 2nd at 12 noon - "Honoring
Dr. King during Black History Month."
Alba Onofrio
Directora Ejecutiva
Executive Director
El Centro Hispano
919.687.4635

---------

January 17 - February 2

Europe Central

adapted by John Justice and Michael A. Smith from the book by William T.
Vollmann  Directed by Jay O'Berski
A dream theater meditation on how art survives in the midst of the madness
of World War II. An original adaptation of the 2005 National Book Award
winning novel.

Manbites Dog Theater 682.3343 Ticket reservations/show information (voice
mail)
703 Foster Street (between Geer and Trinity), Durham

------------

January 30

Mock Presidential Caucus

The Durham Democratic Women are sponsoring a mock presidential caucus at the
Main Branch of the Durham Public Library from 6:30 PM until 8:30 PM.

Dubbed the ³Raucous Caucus,² the event has been designed both for people who
haven¹t made up their minds about who to vote for yet and supporters who
want to win others over to their candidate¹s side. ³I¹m hoping people will
bring the whole family, including kids who want to take part in one of the
most fun forms of grassroots democracy. We think it¹s a great way to kick
off the 2008 election season.² The event is free and open to all members of
the public interested in learning more about the 2008 Democratic
presidential candidates.

-------------

February 1

> DOUBLETIME
>
> The Southern Documentary Fund (SDF) will celebrate five years of documentary
> excellence with a gala reception and special screening of Doubletime, one of
> its more than 60 sponsored documentary projects. Doubletime follows the story
> of two renowned youth jump roping teams‹the Bouncing Bulldogs from Chapel
> Hill/Durham, NC and the Double Dutch Forces from Columbia, SC as they perform
> in fierce international competition at Harlem¹s legendary Apollo Theater. The
> evening will climax with a special live performance by the Bouncing Bulldogs.
>
> The gala reception begins at 6:00 p.m. and the film screening at 7:30 p.m.
> Tickets for the screening only will be available for $10 per person from The
> Carolina Theatre box office. Tickets for the gala reception and screening are
> now available for $25 per person from the Southern Documentary Fund. Call
> 308-3714 for more information.
>
> Carolina Theatre (Durham)
>
> ----------
>
> through February 12

Father & Son: Creativity Across Two Generations
<http://www.throughthislens.com/>
by Lowell Handler and Murry Handler

The exhibition features selections from Lowell Handler's project The
Vanishing: Photographs from a Small Midwestern Town as well as limited
edition serigraphs of original ink paintings from Murry Handler's  Attitudes
collection.  Sale on books and prints.

Third Friday, January 18
Click here to check out other Third Friday events
<http://thirdfridaydurham.com/fridays/view>

Through This Lens 687-0250
303 E. Chapel Hill Street, Durham
www.throughthislens.com <http://www.throughthislens.com/>