INC NEWS - Tree cutting policy and Duke Power

Angel Romero aromero at ibiblio.org
Thu Feb 28 18:45:53 EST 2008

Today a Duke Power representative came by and told my wife that they
wanted to trim or, better yet, remove our only front yard tree. This
tree doesn't interfere with the power lines and provides great shade in
the summer.

What we have been told is that we have no recourse and that if an
engineer esteems that our tree is a potential threat to the power lines,
they can can get rid of it.

I imagine they are planning a tree 'trimming' down our street, which
probably means the death of numerous trees, judging by what has happened
in other neighborhoods.

How a corporation can get away with this kind of stuff boggles my mind.
Do we have a recourse? Can't our representatives at state level remove
this authority?

We have a company that has a monopoly and makes profits, but refuses to
enter the 21st century. They keep using outdated methods of providing
energy in urban areas. Instead of burying lines, they continue to do it
the old way, wasting money on poles, fleets of trucks with lifts and so
forth.

--
A. Romero
Colonial Village