INC NEWS - New Site and Scope Concept for Central Campus (March 12 at 7PM @ Nasher)

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 13:03:23 EDT 2008

folks,

FYI, the message below was sent to the leaders of the
stakeholders group who worked out the twelve Central
Campus agreements with Duke.

Duke will discuss how its plans have been changed on
Wednesday, March 12 at 7PM in the Nasher Museum.

best,
John

****

On Saturday, the Duke University Board of Trustees
approved a change in the site and scope of Central
Campus.  The new site will move to the south of the
original site, with the new campus now planned in the
area between the Nasher Museum and West Campus along
Campus Drive.  This new site will be designed to be
more environmentally friendly and more pedestrian
friendly, with less retail and less motor vehicle
traffic than the original planned site.  The new site
and scope concept will remain true to and in
compliance with all of the zoning commitments the
university previously agreed to with the City of
Durham and local community leaders, including
improvements to Anderson Street to give it more of a
campus feel.  This new concept was presented to the
Trustees by Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects and they
will present the concept to the general public at a
meeting we have scheduled for Wednesday, March 12 at 7
p.m. in the Nasher Museum.  I hope you are able to
attend.  In the meantime, if you desire additional
information, please feel free to contact me.

Phail Wynn, Jr.
Vice President
Durham and Regional Affairs
Duke University