INC NEWS - FYI: Some information wrt trails and greenways

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 19:55:32 EDT 2008

Thought you all might benefit from the following
information, provided from the Ellerbe Creek Watershed
Association's Coffee With Council Meeting on Monday:

"The council meeting was very well attended and we got
our chance to educate the council on a variety of
issues related to greenways with a lot of people,
probably half the crowd, there on this one topic.

I would encourage you to e-mail them.  A few points
that were not as clearly articulated as I would have
liked are the following.

    *  Durham Comprehensive Plan: Chapter 10 states
that the city shall continue its development of the
trails/greenway system to provide for a comprehensive
system of corridors throughout Durham.  The trails
system shall link residential areas, schools, parks,
institutions, shopping centers and other greenways.

    * Durham Comprehensive Plan: Table 10-1 of the
Plan also displays target level of service standards
for park/rec facilities. There is supposed to be 0.4
miles of trail for every 1000 residents or 92 miles of
trail by 2010. Currently there are only about 17 miles
of built trail.

    * Durham Citizen Satisfaction Survey: In the Parks
& Recreation section of the Survey (ETC Institute, Feb
2008, pg. 43), trails and greenways were ranked second
only to parks as the item that should receive the most
emphasis from city leaders over the next two years
(ranked ahead of playgrounds, athletic fields,
recreation centers and swimming pools)."

Durham City Council:
council at ci.durham.nc.us

Joint City County Planning Commission:
Diane.Catotti at durhamnc.gov,