INC NEWS - $400k for PR campaign on water

Mike Woodard mike at mikewoodard.com
Thu Apr 10 17:10:38 EDT 2008

I don't know who Melissa's source is, but it is not accurate to suggest that no Council member has raised concerns about this proposal...either today or in meetings with City administration. I met with Public Affairs Director Beverly Thompson Tuesday afternoon and had conversations with Water Department staff over the past two weeks since receiving this proposal. I  am aware that other Council members also had similar conversations.

Melissa's either/or question is fallacious. We will both repair leaky pipes and meters, as well as engage in an aggressive community education program. Her suggestion that we use citizen volunteers to "come up with an ad, arrange posting on billboards, bus boards" is also fallacious. It is often difficult to hold volunteers accountable and to find volunteers who have the expertise ICF has, particularly given the complexity of the project and the time in which we would like to act. ICF already has a plan, and our expectation is to begin implementing the plan within two weeks of the contract's approval (that is one of the "concerns" raised today).

I invite all of you to read the proposal for yourselves and draw your own conclusions:
http://www.durhamnc.gov/agendas/2008/cws20080421/124457_4904_159961.pdf

As you will see, this is far more than just a "PR campaign."

The City/County Sustainability Manager began her work just this past Monday. She already has a full plate working on a number of initiatives. Her first priority is the implementation of the City/County Greenhouse Gas Plan. As the City Council and County Commissioners look at their budgets in the coming months, they will consider the funding for programs and support. As for the water conservation plan, this work will be coordinated jointly by the Public Affairs and Water Department since these two departments have the infrastructure and knowledge in place to carry it out.

I would welcome your comments.

Mike Woodard
City Council

Mike Woodard
Email: mike at mikewoodard.com
Web site: www.mikewoodard.com
Office: 919.668.0817; Mobile: 919.599.5143