INC NEWS - Premise of development industry's column isn't so simple

Colin Crossman crc128 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 07:41:14 EDT 2008

John,

The study you cite is useful to repudiate some of the claims of the
Bryan/Byker piece, however the utility is limited.  You cite an article
that describes the tax impact of residential, and specifically sprawling
residential.

Unfortunately for your premise, the article also makes the following
observation:

"Finally, commercial and industrial land uses emerge as being the
largest net contributors to local financial resources.

The main finding of this research, then, is that farm/forest and
commercial land uses subsidize residential land uses in Wake County.
This is consistent with the findings of virtually every Cost of
Community Services study that has been carried out in other communities
throughout the U.S." - Page 8 of
http://www.onencnaturally.org/pages/obj/WAKE-COCS.pdf

The Bryan/Byker piece decrys problems with the development process in
Durham, and those problems redound to the entire development industry,
residential and commercial alike.

-Colin