INC NEWS - take developers' proposal off the table...

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 08:54:17 EDT 2008

folks,

Thanks for all the off-line emails of support. They've
been great (and some have been very funny). :)

This proposal to remove the Planning Commission's
ability to defer projects needs to be taken off the
table. It's the big elephant in the room

Until then, how well the City/County handles its site
plan and technical review process is secondary.

The developers' current push to limit deferrals will
undermine community participation. It goes way beyond
addressing developers' complaints about competency.

The planning process in Durham needs to involve the
community as much as possible. The Planning Commission
is one of the few points where there's true open
conversation with all the stakeholders.

If they're going to take away that chance even more
with this new proposal, then why have a Planning
Commission?

Recently, developers called to cancel a meeting with
the neighborhood because their "plans aren't ready."
We then found out the developers had been showing
their plans to Council members to line up votes --
before meeting with the neighborhood.

This deliberate attempt to circumnavigate the
community is frustrating. Neighbors deserve a chance
to have their say.

It also raises the question of trust. Developers'
lawyers, lobbyists, past presidents of the
pro-development Friends of Durham (who co-authored the
column) and other allies were all at the table when
these "technical adjustments" to streamline the
development process were being hashed out.

The different neighborhoods weren't at the table.

So, there's nothing wrong with questioning what's
being proposed. (The fictitious characters help keep
the focus on the proposals, not the individuals
involved.)

For the record, other than my little house, I have no
land holdings in the area. I would appreciate those
who speak in favor of the developers' proposals to
indicate whether or not they have land holdings in
Durham city or county... It might help readers
understand the author's perspective.

best wishes,
John