INC NEWS - take developers' proposal off the table...

John Schelp bwatu at yahoo.com
Wed May 28 11:55:16 EDT 2008

For the record, I'm not talking about Mike Shiflett
when asking proponents of the developers' proposals to
share whether or not they have land holdings in Durham
city or county.

It was someone else. And, it would help folks
understand that author's perspective.

Last week, Mike has expressed his opposition to the
Neighborhood Advocate being in the new budget.

Today, he opposes calls to take off the table a
proposal that would undercut the Planning Commission's
ability to defer projects (and allow neighborhood
input).

So, I guess it's OK to take some things off the table
but not other things. ;)

That's all pretty clear.

Whether you like it or not, the developers' proposal
to undermine the Planning Commission (and neighborhood
involvement) overshadows the developers' complaints
about competency.

Again, developers' lawyers, lobbyists, past presidents
of the pro-development Friends of Durham (who
co-authored the pro-development column) and other
allies were all at the table when these "technical
adjustments" to streamline the development process
were being worked out.

The different neighborhoods were not at the table.

Some may think that's OK. Many do not.

Per my Friday post, I enjoyed a very constructive
meeting with Steve Medlin that morning. I said he was
a good man who is trying to make things better.

But, that has little to do with this current push to
undermine the Planning Commission and undercut
neighborhood participation in the planning process.

warmest regards,
John