INC NEWS - Streamlining -- the other issue

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Sat May 31 16:56:27 EDT 2008

For all the virtual ink that has been spent on discussions about deferrals at Planning Commission, no-one has had anything to say about what I think could be an equally pernicious idea:  letting managers decide on proposals for developers to extend utilities to their projects.

Our side of town recently had a case of someone spotting, on the consent agenda (who looks at the consent agenda, maybe this is why the proposals are so rarely contested), a utility extension that would have gone through a park and adversely affected a neighborhood.  So we were lucky.

There may be some cases where it is appropriate for the manager to decide (e.g. the utility is going through what has been long preserved as right of way), but I think we need a LOT more discussion on what the appropriate conditions are.

If the easy places to develop are already developed, sewer and water extensions are likely to be a big issues in parts eastern and northern parts of the county where the soil doesn't perk, so lack of past controversy isn't any reason to expect that we don't really need to have extensions as a LEGISLATIVE action.

Regards, pat