INC NEWS - any cuts just has to hurt somewhere...

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Fri Jun 6 15:48:11 EDT 2008

I am all for "user funded anything" as that does as you say, frees up
funding for other areas/problems/concerns. I guess the problem is that if
these organizations charged what it took to roll out their various
productions/shows/events, then they might find that they would no longer
be able to do so because it did not break even (or make financial sense).
I think that's what all of this about anyway. Getting all of these groups
either to become financially independent or fold. Some will make it while
others will fall by the wayside as unwanted and unsupported by the
community. I guess it depends on what "value" they bring to the table...

An example of this is our Yard Waste Program in the City. I'm not sure how
it works out today (not having a yard waste facility here in our community
and shipping it all off to VA; I have been assurred that one is coming
again soon...), but three years ago the Yard Waste Program was funded by
those who subscribed to the service and it was breaking even. So that was
a good thing for the tax payers. Here was a City service that was paid for
by those who wanted the service and not an expense born by anyone else. It
would be nice to see that sort of thought process across the board when it
comes to spending.

RWP
27 Beverly

> Fair point at the end, but an earmarked admissions tax is just a way of
> transferring the cost of the arts to the arts user, freeing up the
> general fund for the core responsibilities of government.  It is only an
> alternative to a method where the arts are left to wither or unfairly
> pitted against needs that must be supported by the general fund.
> Another way to look at it, do we really think the price of our ticket
> now is paying enough to provide the entertainment we're
> getting...no-way.
>
> But it was just an idea borrowed from other models of funding.  I'm open
> to anything but the approach we have now.
>
> RB

This e-mail, and any attachments to it, contains PRIVILEGED AND
CONFIDENTIAL information intended only for the use of the addressee(s) or
entity named on the e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any reading,
dissemination or copying of this e-mail in error is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this electronic  transmission in error, please notify
me by telephone (919-489-0576) or by electronic mail (pickle at patriot.net)
immediately.