INC NEWS - any cuts just has to hurt somewhere...

Ronnie Griffin res1m28r at verizon.net
Mon Jun 9 09:47:08 EDT 2008

Should and could Durham in concert with greater Triangle Region (Raleigh,
Cary, Chapel Hill, etc.) develop and implement a Zero Waste policy through a
reclamation and recycling program?

Waste is a tremendous resource.

A community investment in recycling programs could returns many millions of
dollars to the region as well as jobs and a better environment.  My opinion,
our community and our leadership should begin to redefine its attitude to
waste if we are to see human generations, beyond our children go on to live
fulfilling and sustainable lives.  Sustainability and waste cannot co-exist.
Our region could become a model for Zero Waste.

"Zero Waste envisions a world where all materials are reintegrated back into
the economy or harmlessly into nature.  It starts by designing waste out of
the system and integrating actions all the way down the supply chain for
maximum materials efficiency.  It challenges unsustainable patterns of
production and consumption.  It's a whole system approach to a whole system
crisis."

Reclamation usually consumes less energy than producing new materials.
Reclamation cannot only reduce pollution but it also saves and conserves the
consumption of energy.

Ronnie Griffin

North Garrett Road Committee