INC NEWS - Hike to look at urban trees

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 5 15:23:47 EDT 2008

Please distribute to your neighborhood list-serves!  Thanks, pat

August 31st (Sun) 2pm easy Urban "Nature Hike"DURHAM'S AILING STREET TREES--An Urban "Nature Hike"Many of Durham's urban neighborhoods are shaded by large streettrees planted more than 70 years ago. Now many are dying of old ageand pollution stress. Other trees have been massively pruned forpower lines or even removed. How can we replace our urban trees--tobeautify our neighborhoods, to save energy and to sequester greenhousegases? This 2 mile urban hike is sponsored by the Headwaters Chapter of the Sierra Club. Sunday, August 31, 2-3:30 pm. Meet at corner of Markham and Sedgefield St., north edge of Duke's East Campus. For information,Bob Healy (healy at duke.edu)(janethitti at verizon.net (572-2407)