INC NEWS - 2 wrongs don't make a right

Long, Donald Donald.Long at durhamnc.gov
Wed Oct 1 14:45:54 EDT 2008

Earlier this week I had a rather extensive conversation with Randy
Pickle and I explained the premise behind the bulky program and he
expressed very little disagreement. His major problem was he wished we
had just one easy to remember pick up day.

This new service has very little to do with the yard waste program and
has much to do with efficiency and keeping our neighborhoods clean. We
probably get over 100 illegal set-outs a month (bulky items put out at
curbside without calling for a pickup) and the Impact Team could not
keep up removing the items. That number does not even include the over
60 illegal dumps that they were clearing a month. We combined our
resources (we got three employees and 3 trucks from the Impact Team) to
establish a curbside bulky pickup service once a month in order to give
citizens a service that is obviously needed. Since the trucks had been
already purchased it made sense to make the best of the situation and
give citizens a badly needed service in lieu of not being able to fund
the entire comprehensive program. Randy is right, we aren't backlogged
in regards to One Call requests for pickups, but the illegal set outs
and illegal dumps increase each month. We will continue to provide the
pay for pickup service if citizens want to put items curbside during the
weeks they aren't entitled to the free service. This is a sincere effort
to beautify Durham not an effort to further waste taxpayers money. We do
what we can with what we have. We strive daily to eliminate waste and
inefficiency. I recognize in this tight economy how the Council had to
prioritize and not impose a tax increase on the citizens in order to
fund a comprehensive curbside program. They had tough decisions to make
and I think they did a good job. They will support our efforts when it
becomes economically feasible. They always do. They have yet to let me
down.

Donald M. Long
Director, Department of Solid Waste Management
City of Durham, North Carolina
919-560-4186-Office
919-201-0258-Cell
919-560-1132-Fax