INC NEWS - flashing, changing, bright, electronic, new, improved, special treatment billboards

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 19:48:02 EST 2008

Just to remind everyone, the original (2003) anti-amortization bill was written so broadly that it would have affected our ability to control other noxious uses.  THis is the letter INC wrote to the Durham delegation for their efforts that defeated the bills in 2003 (tho they finally got something through in 2004):

The InterNeighborhood Council of Durham (INC) would like to thank you for your leadership in opposing the so-called “billboard bills,” Senate Bill 534 and House Bill 429. These bills would have hamstrung the ability of local governments to use zoning and other regulatory tools to protect neighborhoods from visual blight, dilapidated buildings, and inappropriate uses such as junk yards, nightclubs, and adult entertainment.

The InterNeighborhood Council of Durham (INC) is a private, nonprofit umbrella organization of Durham neighborhood associations.  Our purpose is to work together to preserve and enhance the residential quality of life for all Durham neighborhoods.  Over the last 20 years, we have enjoyed considerable success at the local level. Senate Bill 534 and House Bill 429 would have been a significant set-back for our goals.