INC NEWS - flashing billboards

John Dagenhart jdag at clappresearch.com
Sat Dec 6 21:09:49 EST 2008

I'm at home recovering from some surgery and am following this out of
curiosity and to fight boredom.  I doubt that I would be able to attend any
meeting on this subject in the near future.

I noticed that the proposed Appearance Commission text does not mention who
would monitor or measure the light output of such signs, nor by what
standard or measurement criteria the output would be measured.  I would
imagine the City has neither the equipment nor the personnel to do so. I
would think the sign owner would need to bear this expense and hire a
competent independent consultant ( I would suggest a licensed engineer) to
provide such certification, both initially and on an agreed upon interval.

I'm curious as to where these proposed light output levels came from. How do
the night levels compare with typical signs illuminated by floodlights?

Just my two cents.