INC NEWS - Alternative gift giving ideas - classes, donations, tickets & exercise

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 11:52:43 EST 2008

Spread the word

Gift ideas

There are a number of nontraditional ideas for gifts. One alternative to is
a present is to pay for someone to take a class (see the attachment.)
Another gift idea is to give a ticket to a show or gift certificate towards
a live performance. (A document about where to go for performances will be
sent soon.) In addition people could provide someone with the ability to get
exercise by buying an exercise pass at Durham¹s public recreation facilities
(see below) or a month membership at a health club.

You can make a contribution to an organization in a family member, friend
and co-workers someone¹s name instead of giving a present for the holidays,
birthdays and other special occasions. Donating is a very good, simple and
needed idea, especially right now during these difficult economic times. You
can make a difference. No amount of money is too small. I know that everyone
can give.*

If you are going to shop I urge you to support local community-owned,
independent businesses. (I sent out a list of such businesses on November
26h.)

I suggest people give the holiday presents they do not desire to groups that
accept in-kind donations. (This information will also be sent in an upcoming
email.)

I figure that my mail carriers and garbage men take care of me all year. So
I use the holidays as my turn to do something for them. Instead of giving
cash or a gift I have started purchasing gift certificates from my favorite
independent stores. I see this as another opportunity to support independent
stores.

------

Exercise (including lap swimming, water exercise and swim classes and
recreational swim in indoor swimming pools.)

Durham Parks & Recreation Department

Edison Johnson at Rock Quarry  560-4265
600 W. Murray (next door to the Museum of Life and Science between Duke St
and Roxboro Rd)
Has lap swimming, water aerobics classes and water recreation year round.
Swim lessons. Edison Johnson has also has racquetball and basketball courts
as well as a senior land aerobics class.

Campus Hills at I.R. Holms Recreation Center  560-4444
2000 S. Alston Ave  Campus Hills (close to North Carolina Central¹s Law
School)
Also has racket and basketball courts and a weight room. Has lap swimming,
water aerobics classes and water recreation year round. Has a masters swim
program.

For more information on all Parks and Recreation programs go to:
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/parks/ if you click on the PlayMore
brochure for a PDF file that has information on all classes and programs.
There are summer swim classes.

Swim passes (as of December 13, 2008)

Lap or recreational swim 20 hole punch pass $32 (can only be used for one
year)
Water aerobes classes 16 punch pass $42.

4 month individual pass (with expiration time) $60
4 month family pass (with expiration time) for Durham city residents $96.
4 month family pass (with expiration time) for non-Durham city residents
$111.

Year individual pass (with expiration time) for Durham city residents $126.
Year individual pass (with expiration time) for non-Durham city residents
$146.
Year family for lap and recreational swim for Durham city residents $202.
For non-Durham city residents $252.

Swimming lesson classes (kids and adults) $45 for 8 classes.  Kids classes
start at 6 years of age. Under 6 years of age $40 for 8 classes.

People can also pay pay each time
Lap swimming $2.50/per swim.
Water aerobes classes $4/per class.

Family = 2 adults and 3 kids or 1 adult and 4 kids.
Non-Durham residents = Durham County and elsewhere.

6 month swim passes no longer exist.

Take advantage of what Durham offers.

-----

*I know that people who are less fortunate will make donations. I first came
to this realization back in the 1970s when I was in high school. I was a
member of my public school¹s club that raised scholarship money to help send
fellow classmates to public universities in Missouri. One of the things we
did was stand in front of grocery stores and ask people for contributions. I
noticed at that time that people who did not have were the ones who
willingly gave their change and bills.

Laura