[Durham INC] Groups to support; unwanted gifts in-kind donations & events: New Years Eve & more

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 27 16:24:18 EST 2008

Feel free to share this information.

For suggestions for where to donate unwanted presents see Donating &
Shopping for Used items. The info about in-kind donations may also be useful
for anyone moving or if looking for items for your household. These groups
and non-profit businesses serve the Durham community. It may be possible to
receive a tax deduction for your in-kind donations.

------------

Organizations May Consider Supporting with Donations for Year End
Contributions & as Alternative Presents

Making donations to non-profit organizations at the end of the year is
timely. An alternative to giving gifts for holidays, birthdays and other
special occasions is to make a donation to a non-profit organization in
honor of a loved one, family member, friend or co-worker. Some people are
also looking for groups to make year end donations to. I know that making
contributions are especially needed during these difficult economic times.

The list may also be useful to people who are looking for employment, for
volunteer opportunities, networking, and ideas for groups to contribute
funds and in-kind items to.

The organizations in the Excel spread sheet are ones that I, and people I
respect, believe in. The list has about 175 organizations that is searchable
by name, issues addressed, service area (Triangle, statewide, Southern,
national and international), city, state, and tax status. There are also
instructions for sorting that are for those who are not familiar with Excel..

The primary topic is in boldface with additional issues following. Among the
issues are: Human/Civil Rights, Economic Development, Latino Community,
Education, Poverty, Children, Environment, Community Resources, Housing,
Women¹s Rights, Workers Rights, Families, Youth, Health Services, Seniors,
Advocacy, Economic Justice, Consumers Rights, Land/Water Protection,
Environmental Justice, Energy, Politics, Arts/Culture and Social Justice.

One of the columns is the tax status (if it was not tax deductible, I
inserted [not 501(c)(3)]; if it was tax deductible I inserted 501(c)(3). If
receiving a tax deduction matters to you, before contributing you might want
to double-check with the group. Some groups offer a tax deduction for
donations of goods and services (called in-kind donations).

I am asking each household to make a contribution. No amount of money is too
small. You can make a difference. I know that everyone can give. (The first
time I witnessed less fortunate people making donations was to my public
high school¹s college scholarship fund.)

I have over 20 people to thank for offering me recommendations over the past
five years. A few of these individuals devoted a tremendous amount of their
time discussing their suggestions. Wendy Bernhardt, of Bernhardt Editing
Services, researched every group¹s purpose and contact information, and put
together this document. Compiling this document has been a labor of love. I
really appreciate all of you who have offered your help.

The excel spread sheet is very lengthy if you would like to see the list of
organizations email me off the list serve. I can also give you the names of
my favorite groups.

If you would like to do more research you may want to go to American
Institute of Philanthropy; or www.justgive.org <http://www.justgive.org> or
charitynavigator.org, both of which are great for evaluating and comparing
charitable organizations. The Triangle Free Press includes a listing in
every issue of the paper. The Durham People¹s Alliance has put together a
Resource Directory (see their web page.) The Triangle Community Foundation
is in the final stages of developing a web page called ³Triangle Gives Back²
(www.trianglegivesback.org/ <http://www.trianglegivesback.org/> ) about
organizations and contributing to groups in general.

In my opinion Groups to Support document is the most important information I
put out annually.

Time is running out for those people who want to make a donation before the
year.

Compiled by Laura Drey with a lot of assistance by numbers of people
December 26, 2008

------------

Events

Wednesday, December 31  Doors open at 8pm/Music starts at 9pm Tickets CASH
only

Blues on New Years Eve

Music Maker has paired up with The Broad Street Cafe to throw an amazing NEW
YEAR'S EVE celebration.

Cool John Ferguson
John Dee Holeman
Boo Hanks
Cap'n Luke
Macavine Hayes
The Rip It Ups

Heavy Hors D'oeuvres, Cash Bar and Complimentary Champagne Toast at
midnight!

A limited number of tickets are now on sale for $20 each (CASH ONLY)

Broad Street Cafe
1116 Broad Street, Durham
http://www.thebroadstreetcafe.com

You can see the poster at:
http://www.thebroadstreetcafe.com/Announcements/NewYearsEve2008.pdf

-------------

New Year's Eve  8:30pm until after midnight

English Country Participatory Dancing Music by Mara Shea and friends.

The Ark on Duke University's East Campus

No street shoes; dance in dance-only shoes or socks.  Alcohol free, gender
neutral, you don't need to bring a partner.  If you like, bring a snack or
dessert to share.
$12 suggested donation ($10 for Sun Assembly members and Duke students, free
for those 12 years old and younger).
For more information:  <www.sunassembly.org> or 919-286-2202.

-----------

through January 5, 2009

Craftland Holiday Marketplace

All items for sale at Craftland are handmade by local artists and
incorporate reclaimed, reused, or repurposed materials.

The Scrap Exchange
548 Foster Street, Durham, NC 27701
phone 919-688-6960  fax 919-688-2792
www.scrapexchange.org <http://www.scrapexchange.org>

---------

January ­ April  2009

Nonprofit Facility Symposium

The Scrap Exchange is organizing a multi-part series examining nonprofit
facilities in our local area, looking at a variety of lease, ownership, and
building options. We will tour a range of facilities including those of
nonprofits who have found permanent homes in properties they own as well as
those who have successfully negotiated favorable lease arrangements. The
series will culminate with a panel discussion   involving the nonprofits
whose facilities were featured along with other experts in the field. The
first four tours have been scheduled! www.scrapexchange.org/news.html

The series is free and open to the public, however pre-registration is
required for facility tours. Please call Ann Woodward at 919-682-2751 to
reserve your spot.

Laura