[Durham INC] billboards

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 1 08:00:10 EST 2009

We just got back from our Christmas roadtrip to Ohio.  My observations on billboards:  1) I didn't see any public service announcements, unless you count the pro-coal billboards in WV.2) If you want to support distinctive Durham businesses, you shouldn't look to billboard advertising.  It's mostly chains on the billboards. Which is what you would expect since people on the highway will be looking for places close to the exits that they recognize.  We may not like them any better, but we should also understand what the next generation of advertising will do -- e.g. messages to your cell phone based on your known preferences.Regards, pat