[Durham INC] Brochure re: MLK, food drive, events: MLK, show re: women w/ HIV/AIDS

Laura Drey lkdrey2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 10 19:33:05 EST 2009

Feel free to share this information.

As a resource for King Day celebrations and other events, Democracy North
Carolina (Dem NC) has prepared a new version of a pocket-size brochure that
includes quotes and photographs of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. plus
information about NC¹s record voter turnout in 2008, the up-coming H K on J
assembly, the Public Campaign Fund and Dr. King¹s challenge for us to keep
working for positive change.

Dem NC is making the brochures available free to groups, in conjunction with
the NC NAACP and NC Fair Share. You are welcome to download and copy the
brochure. And if you belong to a group that might like to distribute the
brochure as part of King Day, Inauguration or Black History Month
celebrations, Dem NC would be happy to send you a supply of the brochures
free of charge. Write info at democracy-nc.org with a street address, the
quantity needed and your phone number, in case there is a problem with
delivery.

Please visit Dem NC on the web at www.democracy-nc.org for more information
on our activities.

Democracy North Carolina is a statewide nonpartisan organization that uses
research, grassroots organizing and coalition building to promote voter
participation and fair elections.

-------

The drop off date for trees on January 10th will not occur because the pilot
tree project in Durham has been canceled. The pilot project may happen at
some point in the future. The wheels of government have begun to discuss
possible details of a pilot program. I hope that groups and individuals will
encourage Durham¹s elected officials, Urban Forestry and Parks and
Recreation staff to establish a pilot plant project for public locations.

-----------

Events

Blue = visual arts, brown = movies & plays, red= music, purple = dance and
black = others (including political events)

January ­ April  2009

Nonprofit Facility Symposium

The Scrap Exchange is organizing a multi-part series examining nonprofit
facilities in our local area, looking at a variety of lease, ownership, and
building options. We will tour a range of facilities including those of
nonprofits who have found permanent homes in properties they own as well as
those who have successfully negotiated favorable lease arrangements. The
series will culminate with a panel discussion   involving the nonprofits
whose facilities were featured along with other experts in the field. The
first four tours have been scheduled! www.scrapexchange.org/news.html

The series is free and open to the public, however pre-registration is
required for facility tours. Please call Ann Woodward at 919-682-2751 to
reserve your spot.

-------------

January 13, 2009 at 10:30 am and 7:00 pm

³The Life of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.²  by Bright Star Children¹s Theater

The 50 minute production brings to life the Civil Rights Movement, Dr. King
and a number of other influential figures in his life and work. This
production is designed to be accessible enough for 3rd graders and yet
appreciated by adult audiences as well. For more information, tickets or
reservations call (919) 683-1709 or www.hayti.org.

Hayti Heritage Center
804 Old Fayetteville Street, Durham, NC 27701.
Ticket prices are: 10:30 AM Heritage Arts for Youth Performance (Students
$5; chaperons & teachers admitted free with group);
7:00 PM- Open to families and general public (Adults $8; Students $5)

--------

January 19 and 20

> This is a call to action to participate in the "Yes We Cans" Food Drive in
> conjunction with President-elect Obama's call for local service activities to
> coincide with MLK National Service Day and Inauguration Day.
>
> The Durham for Obama Transition Team endorsed "Yes We Cans" to benefit the
> Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina.
> http://www.foodbankcenc.org/site/PageServer?pagename=FBCENCHome
> <http://www.foodbankcenc.org/site/PageServer?pagename=FBCENCHome> Here's a
> link to the most needed items:
> http://www.foodbankcenc.org/site/DocServer/2008_HOC_most_needed_items_for_Jen.
> pdf?docID=604
> <http://www.foodbankcenc.org/site/DocServer/2008_HOC_most_needed_items_for_Jen
> .pdf?docID=604>
>
> An excellent way to be a part of this effort is to attend the general meeting
> planned for DFO at St. Joseph's AME  (2521 Fayetteville St) next Tuesday,
> January 13 from 6:30-8:30 pm. You will be assigned to a team that will be fun
> and make a positive difference. For more info about the meeting and to sign
> up, click here: http://my.barackobama.com/page/event/detail/gptc8q
> <http://my.barackobama.com/page/event/detail/gptc8q>
>
> For more info, please contact the "Yes We Cans" Volunteer Team at
> yeswecans at yahoo.com <mailto:yeswecans at yahoo.com>  and 919.880.9450 (m).
> http://www.durhamforobama.org/
>
> ----------
>
> January 23 & 24, 2009 7:30 PM Doors open at 6:30 PM.

Sometimes I Cry

A one-woman show written and conceived by award winning actress and honored
AIDS activist, Sheryl Lee Ralph. This moving and provocative show was
inspired by the real life stories of women infected and affected by
HIV/AIDS. Ms. Ralph becomes each one of these characters. The love and life
struggles of six women from very different backgrounds and cultures are
experienced as writer-performer Sheryl Lee Ralph (Dreamgirls) tells their
stories. For more information view the web site or call (919) 683-1709 ext.
21.

Hayti Heritage Center
804 Old Fayetteville Street, Durham, NC 27701.
Tickets are on sale now at www.hayti.org or at the Hayti Heritage Center.
Ticket prices are $20 adults and $15 for students and senior citizens.

Divas Simply Singing has done AIDS fundraising that has benefited Minority
AIDS Project, AIDS HealthCare Foundation, Project Angel Food, Black AIDS
Institute, Caring for Babies with AIDS and many others. The Diva Foundation
is a national not-for-profit 501(c)(3) charitable organization founded by
Sheryl Lee Ralph, in 1990, as a memorial to the many friends she had lost to
HIV/AIDS. The organization focuses on generating resources and coordinating
activities to create awareness of and combat against HIV/AIDS. The DIVA
Foundation utilizes music and entertainment as a vehicle to educate, raise
awareness, and erase the stigma attached to this deadly disease.

> -----------
>
> January 31 at 12 noon (rescheduled date)

The 7th Annual Durham MLK Parade

Fayetteville Street, Durham

-----------

Photographs at Through This Lens through January 2009

Under These Stones: Vanishing Reflections of Rural North Carolina by Mikel
Robinson

In many places, the small farms and open fields, that I knew in my youth,
have been replaced by business parks, housing developments, and strip malls..
As a result, I feel it important to document rural North Carolina as it once
was-as it has been-before it is lost to the future.

---

3 Collections with 2 Photographers

Contemporary daguerreotypes by Jonathan Danforth
& a selection of ambrotypes and alumitypes by Emma Powell

Through This Lens, Inc.
303 E Chapel Hill St, Durham

-------------

through February 1, 2009

Durham Stories: Not Hell But You Can See It From Here
Photographs and Video by Titus Brooks Heagins, MFA

Durham Stories is a series of portraits of East Durham residents.  In an
area, largely skipped over by the insurgence of money, new development, and
the rising social status of the city¹s inhabitants, this community struggles
along with an increasingly negative reputation for street walkers, drug
dealers and users, store front churches, and an unending supply of the
dispossessed.  For over two years Titus Heagins has wandered these streets
photographing people as he finds them.  They don¹t pose; he didn¹t ask them
to change anything.  Standing where they are found, they declare with their
eyes, posture, and expression, ³This is who I am.²  These close-up portraits
reveal the truth of who they are -- their pain, struggles, victories, and
defeats.

---

Also great sculpture installation exhibit by Ben Bruzga

----

More exhibits

Durham Arts Council Building
120 Morris St., Durham

-------------

February 21 1:00 - 5:00pm

Self-Defense for Women and Teen Girls

$65
SafeSkills, Inc. 919-644-1335
3702 Hillsborough Rd Durham (new location)
www.safeskills.com <http://www.safeskills.com>
<http://www.safeskills.com/newwebsite/selfdefense.html>

------------

Passes available now for Full Frame Film Festival which will be held April 2
­ 5, 2009.

Film pass $100. Festival pass $200. Priority Pass $500.

Passes are available from the website through March 15, 2009. All passes are
limited in quantity and do sell out, so buy early. Pass purchases are
subject to an online convenience fee and are also available for purchase by
calling the ticketing partner, Etix, at 1-800-514-3849 between 10 am and 5
pm Monday-Saturday. Phone purchases are also subject to a convenience fee.
Volunteers get in films free.
www.fullframefest.org/
For questions contact: Full Frame Documentary Film Festival
<info at fullframefest.org>
Full Frame¹s office is located at 324 Blackwell Street, Suite 500 |
Washington Building, Bay 5 | Durham | NC | 27701.

Laura