[Durham INC] Questions raised about billboard industry's efforts in Durham (today's Herald-Sun)

Kelly Jarrett kjj1 at duke.edu
Sun Jan 11 09:45:14 EST 2009

John et.al:

The article about Fairway's  contributions to local politicians & groups
was really interesting. It is hard to see it as anything other than
Fairway's attempt to exert pro-billboard influence on local politicians.
This looks like Fairway's attempt incur a sense of obligation among
local politicians & organizations before they are called to vote on
revising local ordinances to permit electronic billboards.

Since Fairway's presentation to INC and the Herald-Sun's pair of
articles on electronic billboards, I have seen numerous letters to the
editor in the H-S opposing electronic billboards--and I don't recall a
single letter supporting electronic billboards. Durham citizens are
clearly against them. And surely Fairway knows this--which explains why
they are attempting to exert their influence  behind the scenes and
directly on our politicians.

This more we learn about electronic billboards and efforts to bring them
here, the more the whole thing stinks.

Kelly J.