[Durham INC] INC losing it's middle name?

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 12:10:16 EST 2009

I feel the need to support Tom wrt his concerns about the INC's mission. Long before his email, I was discouraged when several people told (or emailed) me that 'it looks like the INC is losing their middle name.' This statement nearly took on the appearance of a slogan. In fact, several parties outside the INC discouraged me from bringing forth the Resolution for
Environmental Protection (now known as the REAP) for this same reason.
Fortunately, I did not heed their advice.

At any rate, Tom is certainly not the first to raise this concern wrt the INC, but he may be the first to raise it publicly, and doing so can only benefit INC in the long run. (Incidentally, I heard the same about the PA last year, that they were becoming too
political -- and it seems they have heard the critics and are working
to better their organization.)

I don't want to dwell on this (beyond this email), but the situation with INC presentations regarding Billboards is seeming to parallel the one surrounding the resolution for environmental protections in the UDO (last year).

In the case of the environmental protections resolution, both 'sides' were given time to present their concerns at the first INC meeting on the matter (10 minutes, with ensuing discussion). As it turned out, the side proposing environmental protections (i.e. me) felt the need to present more detailed information than the other side (i.e. Craigie). No insult intended, that's just how it went. There was much ensuing discussion by the INC on the topic, but this should not have been considered as time for one side or the other.

It appears, however, that this INC discussion was seen as time for the pro-resolution side, for at the next INC meeting, the other side was given another chance --Frank Thomas (from the National Homeowners Association) was given a prominent slot on the INC agenda. Again, INC questions and discussion ensued, and because it was critical of Mr. Thomas's stance/letter, it appears it was considered as time alotted to the pro-resolution side.

Before this meeting (at which Frank Thomas spoke), we requested time for other, more objective people to speak on the issue -- someone from stormwater and erosion control, Water Quality, DOST, etc. -- and our request was not granted. Finally, when Cathy Abernathy attempted to discuss the resolution (after the National Homebuilder's Association presented 'their side'), she was not allowed to do so , despite the fact that such discussion (or at least presentation) of the resolution should have been the actual business at hand. She was told that she was out of order, b/c the item was never put on the agenda, despite the fact that she had been assured that she would have such time.

Now, I'm not saying this to blast the INC board. I understand the need to keep discussion within reasonable time-lines, and to give equal treatment to both sides, particularly on passionate issues like the REAP and the Billboard legislation, in both of which it is hard to avoid conflicts of interest.

It seems to me that the INC has become so concerned about 'presenting both sides,' that they err on the side of overdoing it when it regards 'the opposing side' -- that is, the side they anticipate that most INC members will be against.

Yes, it is important to present both sides. But it is just as important to ensure that both sides get equal time and treatment. And open INC discussion on an issue should not count toward the 'alottment' of either side. If we can't discuss these issues at length, without the appearance of 'taking sides,' then our decisions lose credibility.

I just wanted to say that.

Melissa

Melissa Rooney
mmr121570 at yahoo.com