[Durham INC] INC By-Laws and Governance Regarding Membership and Voting

Leslie Page leslie at westdurhamrealty.com
Sun Jan 25 07:58:48 EST 2009

Hi all,

I received an email this morning which expresses a valid concern.  The
email read, in part, as follows:

"INC has so many people in it now that do not even represent the
neighborhoods they say they do. Some of the
neigborhood Associations haven't even heard of the folks who say they
represent them. And at the highest levels (even on the Board). That's a
serious problem..."

I don't think this person was trying to single me out, but in the spirit of
transparency, it did cause me to go back and more carefully scrutinize the
by-laws regarding membership and voting privileges in INC.

The DRAR joined INC in 2007 at the invitation of then President David
Harris, who extended the offer of membership at a Delegate body meeting.
We accepted the invitation, paid our dues, and I have attended meetings as
its appointed delegate.  Last November, I was elected to the Secretary
position by the Delegate Body.  I never thought to question whether or not
we were eligible for membership and no one ever brought it up that I'm
aware of.

However, in reading the by-laws, it would appear that the DRAR's membership
is not valid, since we do not qualify for membership as per Section 2.1.1
or 2.1.2 of the INC By-Laws.
http://www.durham-inc.org/2008121454/INC-Membership/bylaws.html  I am
bringing this to the attention of the Executive Committee and Delegate Body
for consideration and clarification as to whether or not the DRAR is a
legitimate member of INC.

Further, I am questioning my own eligibility to serve as Secretary of INC.

Section 3.3.3 of the By-Laws states that "the Council of delegates shall
have the authority and responsibility to:  fill any vacancy occuring among
the officers,..."  It does not state whether or not the elected officials
must first be a legitimate delegate in order to be elected.

I share the writer's concern about the integrity of the voting process and
would like to bring this item forward as an urgent business item for the
Executive Committee and the Delegate Body.  I suggess a task force of
legitimate delegates be formed to examine and, if necessary, amend the
by-laws to clarify these issues.  Until my status to serve has been
clarified, I will suspend voting.  I will, however, continue on in my
duties as Secretary until directed otherwise by the Executive Committee
and/or Delegate Body.

As an aside, on the website's INC Board page
http://www.durham-inc.org/2008121555/INC-Board/the-inc-board.html I am
listed as a representative of Old West Durham, which is not correct.  I
represent the Durham Regional Association of Realtors.

Thanks for your consideration.

Leslie S. Page, Broker, ABR, e-Pro
West Durham Realty, LLC
Specializing in Residential and Investment Property Sales and Management
919-286-9400 office
919-602-1963 cell
mailto:Leslie at WestDurhamRealty.com
http://www.WestDurhamRealty.com