[Durham INC] Jordan Lake Rules impact on City

Ken Gasch Ken at KenGasch.com
Sat Jan 31 09:25:34 EST 2009

Jordan Lake Rules impact on CityWhen I was a young mechanical engineering
student at Texas Tech, I had this professor that was a former NASA engineer.
His class consisted of weekly design projects.  One of the projects wanted
students to design a system that could extract heat from a plant's exhaust
stream to be used in a secondary process.  Since the heat was being
exhausted into the atmosphere anyway, any heat that could be extracted was
essentially "free".

At the time I was working for a local engineering office as an intern.  I
went to the company library and pulled a catalog for industrial
recuperators.  Based on the temperature, volume, pressure and velocity of
the exhaust stream, I selected the appropriate device from the catalog.  I
then photo copied the page and turned it in.

I was extremely irritated when I got a C on the project.  I argued that a
good engineer would come up with a solution that would not only accomplished
the goal but, was the cheapest solution available.  He argued that when he
assigned the project he was wanting us to sit down and design a recuperator
from scratch and then estimate how much it would cost to have one
fabricated, from scratch!  Based on the designs of student who got A's, I
should have designed something that would have done the same job but, would
have cost 10 times as much as my solution.

I guess that I why he was teaching and no longer designing for NASA.  In the
years since, I have been greatly delighted by NASA's attempts to keep
project cost's low by working to utilize off-the-shelf components.

These Jordan Lake rules are crazy.  We have a problem with run-off.  The
proposed solution is not the best way to tackle the problem.

Ken Gasch