[Durham INC] County & City responses to economic downturn

Kelly Jarrett kjj1 at duke.edu
Wed Feb 4 10:50:04 EST 2009

I hear that the County is requesting its departments to cut their
operating budgets by 10%. The City is also contemplating cuts. Like most
of us, I am concerned about the implications of these cuts, especially
what they will mean for City & County employees as well as availability
of and access to services for Durham residents.

I hope that job preservation will be the highest priority. As a job
preservation strategy, I suggest that budget cuts begin with salary
reductions starting at the top: 5% reductions of all salaries over
$50,000 a year; 10% reduction of salaries over $100,000; 15% reduction
of salaries over $150,000. This should provide some significant cost
savings, leave highly paid employees with adequate salaries to live on,
and preserve the jobs of  less well compensated employees--those such as
food stamp and medicaid workers, entry level social workers, and
front-line staff who are actually providing the services that are in
high demand during economic hard times.

Kelly J.