[Durham INC] County & City responses to economic downturn

Kelly Jarrett kjj1 at duke.edu
Wed Feb 4 11:25:09 EST 2009

I understand the debt obligation and discretionary income issues--but
the people making 20K have debt obligations as well--much more basic
ones like rent and groceries. Salary comps with neighboring police &
social service departments reveal that Durham does not have a history of
paying competitive salaries to begin with, turning us into a training
ground for surrounding areas. Talk about cutbacks understandably makes
those on the lower ends of the salary and seniority ladders nervous as
it is usually their jobs that are most vulnerable.

And respectfully, it is not just the higher paid folks who will assume
more responsibilities: the caseloads of food stamp and medicaid
eligibility workers (definitely not among the highly paid and already
overloaded) will continue to balloon as the economic situation worsens.
Domestic violence and child protective services cases are likely to
rise, and if the state cuts funds for rape crisis and domestic violence
programs demands for police intervention in these areas will increase
even further. Drug and alcohol abuse will rise, along with demands for
treatment, medical, and police involvement. Demand for animal control
services will continue to rise. Property crimes and robberies are likely
to continue to rise. EMT & county health services will be strained
further as people lose medical insurance and rely on ERs for primary
care. You get the picture. Many of the people who deal with the nuts and
bolts of providing these services are on the front lines, in entry level
and lower level positions--not high up the salary ladder. These workers
who you are calling to "work harder and smarter" are already working
hard and smart in physically and emotionally demanding jobs.

I'm not saying that some savings can't be attained through vacancies.
They can. All I'm advocating is that other options be up for discussion.