[Durham INC] Fw: News From Durham People's Alliance

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 23:05:34 EST 2009

Totally understand Bill. But considering the contention surrounding my last INC resolution, you can see my reservations about presenting another one that deals with an environmental issue to the INC. That said,  how about I present the following as a statement from INC to their neighborhoods -- it is essentially a watered down version of the online petition that has now been signed by 820 citizens. One would think this is reason enough for the INC to consider it. Perhaps INC members can take this back to their neighborhoods, discuss it, and be prepared to vote on it -- or an even more watered down version -- at the Feb meeting, which unfortunately I cannot attend (will be out of town again). Of course, if discussion at the Feb meeting is such that it needs to go back to committee, then so be it.

This is clearly a time-sensitive matter, so it will not do much good to schedule discussion for the March meeting, presentation of both sides at the March and/or April meeting, presentation of the resolution at the May meeting, and voting on the resolution at the June meeting, if you know what I mean...

Melissa

_________________________

To:  The NC Division of Water Quality and Durham elected officials (Board of County Commissioners and City Council)

With regard to the Neal Hunter's private survey of Jordan Lake, which
was accepted by the NC Division of Water Quality (DWQ) on Feb 6, 2009:

Though from a licensed surveyor, this survey was paid for and provided
by a private development team which hopes to develop the land in
question. Thus, this developer-provided survey is clearly a conflict of
interest.

In addition, this survey contains grossly inadequate sampling points (as evidenced by the thousands of feet between them).

Furthermore, there is a precedent set by Durham county in the Falls
Lake watershed whereby a developer privately surveyed Falls Lake, and
the county ruled that they should hire an independent surveyor to
survey the entire shoreline that fell within Durham County. Jordan Lake
should receive no worse treatment.

The Engineering Department, The County Manager, the County Planning
Director and the County Attorney recommended that Durham provide its
own, independent survey of the Jordan Lake normal pool boundary, and
two county commissioners voted to do so (agenda item = Budget Ordinance
Amendment No. 09BCC000034).

Jordan Lake is already critically impaired and has been in
violation of the Federal Clean Water Act for years. It is estimated
that Durham will already spend $320 million just to begin cleaning up
Jordan Lake (Jim Wise, News and Observer). In addition, Durham is
currently spending $100 thousand to fight requirements to clean up
Jordan Lake. So it is not unreasonable to spend $90,000 for an independent Jordan Lake Survey to ensure that we don't
further damage this important water resource.

We, the citizens of Durham and NC, petition the 2009 Board of
County Commissioners, the DWQ, and all Durham elected officials to act
in the interest of ALL their constituents by ensuring an independent
and thorough survey for the protection of Jordan Lake.

--INC...etc. etc.