[Durham INC] Fw: Sick birds

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 12:52:51 EST 2009

>From a neighbor in my South Durham neighborhood --
Melissa (Rooney)

--- On Wed, 2/11/09, mfgh7 <mfg7 at nc.rr.com> wrote:
From: mfgh7 <mfg7 at nc.rr.com>
Subject: [FairfieldNC] Sick birds
To: FairfieldNC at yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, February 11, 2009, 12:42 PM

  Our cat brought in an uninjured bird yesterday morning. It was

lethargic, and after speaking with a rehabilitator, and a trip to

Piedmont Wildlife Shelter, I learned it was a pine siskin and

probably ill with salmonellosis.  It is spreading among pine

siskins and goldfinches.  The bird died an hour later.  Last

night the cat brought in another siskin, apparently dead for

awhile.  They have been getting calls from others, finding

multiple birds in their yards.

The advice was to clean bird baths and feeders with 9 parts

water to 1 part bleach, and stop using them for one month to

avoid spread.  Below is a link to an article that appeared

in Calif.in Dec.

http://www.ptreyesl ight.com/ cgi/news_ 2008.pl?record= 273kin

    __._,_.___

            Messages in this topic           (1)