[Durham INC] chicken/digital billboard correlation

RW Pickle randy at 27beverly.com
Thu Feb 19 02:26:34 EST 2009

The purpose of this list is to stimulate conversation, not judge a
conversation as being ridiculous or insinuate that there is a lot of junk
in my front yard. Neither of which statements are true. If it were the
case, it's pretty easy to get junk out of a yard. It's much harder to get
anything intelligent out of some people...

Maybe Ken can't appreciate the award winning art of Andrew Priess
(www.arpdesignstudio.com) and Mike Roig (www.mikeroig.com) which he
probably is referring to as junk (because they are mostly twisted metal).
Trust me, they are not junk; they're sculptures. We have a lot of art in
the hood over here that might appear to be junk to the clueless. I guess
one has to appreciate art before one can understand it. Two sculptures, in
a neighbor's back yard, remind me of a plane crash every time I see them.
I helped him haul them there in my big truck. The statuary in the Park; I
put it there. We like art over here!

Sure, Planning and Zoning came out to investigate a report I was running a
junk yard (maybe you called them). I had 9 cars here at one time. When I
pulled the car covers off three of the Porsche's and ask the two
investigators which one they wanted to drive in the parade, suddenly they
didn't have an issue with me and apologized for the inconvenience.

Want to see my junk? You can go to google and to their street views to see
for yourself (save some gas and time as well). You won't see any junk in
the street views; there isn't any. Besides, my neighbors wouldn't put up
with "junk" if it was even here. Be sure to look across the street into
the Park and see the once-thought-to-be-extinct giant sequoias that line
Beverly Drive. They were started from seed back in the 40's. A botanist
from Duke discovered the trees in a valley in China and brought the seeds
back to Durham. We're lucky to have them lining our street.

I did ask my neighbor if he would mind if I had some chickens since his
swimming pool would be on the same side of the house as my chickens. But
we both thought that the two wouldn't go together very well during the hot
summer months. So I guess I'll just leave the chickens out at farm. Time
will show (as it did in  Chicago; they allowed them for a while until the
complaints became to be too many) that chickens just aren't meant to be
part of a modern city landscape.

It's not so ridiculous that if the cities, held up as examples for the
chickens to be allowed in Durham, have these digital billboards, then they
must be easy to live with. And if these other progressive cities have them
(as they do chickens), then why wouldn't Durham want them? Apparently we
want to be like everyone else. And if it's good for them, it should be
good for us. Right? Otherwise why would we use them as examples for one,
but not the other. Or is it that we use only the examples that are
convenient for whatever cause is being put forward?

Tell us how these two facts do not correlate with each other, that's
conversation...

RWP
27 Beverly