[Durham INC] [C+H Neighborhood] Copper Theft

Colin Crossman crc128 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 23:25:00 EDT 2009

Randy:

Regarding your claim that my figures are in error, you misrepresent
the issue.  This discussion is about copper, not steel.

The point I made about the value of a container was for a container of
copper, not the steel and paper you reference.  Indeed, scrap steel is
very low in price, but, had you bothered to look at the current spot
prices, you'd find that scrap copper is worth about $1 per pound.
Yes, steel is only worth a few dollars a ton. That's why no one takes
the steel frame of the A/C unit - only the copper coils.

Regarding the impact of tax issues on neighborhoods, I remind you that
tax evasion played a major part bringing down the mob, which helped
save whole cities from the grip of crime.  This is merely a tool,
which, if employed properly, has been used successfully to stem the
tide of crime in the past. This has been brought up since the theft of
copper has been a huge problem in East Durham, and this is a way to
reduce that problem, without impact on law-abiding citizens.  It helps
the state to collect money that it is already owed, and it pays for
itself, keeping more money in our budgets for other neighborhood
issues.

That is why it is a neighborhood issue.

-crc