[Durham INC] Stormwater Runoff and The REAL meaning of Earth Day

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 21:50:38 EDT 2009

Good info/comments from a friend. I hope you all will spend 30 minutes to view the frontline story on the web. Thx, Melissa (see below)

I hope many of you had the opportunity to watch this episode of
Frontline. If your time is limited, please try to watch the second hour (or at least the very last 30 minutes)
online at the PBS website (link is at bottom of this email). They talk about the need to protect bodies
of water with the use of critical area boundaries and appropriate
development. The show sites stormwater runoff as one of our major
pollutants and shows a stormwater outfall pipe under water in the Puget
Sound spewing brown water.

The mutations in fish and amphibian populations due to their
exposure to our discarded chemicals is unsettling and described as the
new canary in the coal mine.

I hadn't planned on watching the show since I figured it would be
so depressing. Well, there was that but the show was incredibly
compelling. We need to get back to the urgency we felt for the first
Earth Day back in 1970. The stakes are just as high, if not more so.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/view/