[Durham INC] The Diabetes Improvement Project - Duke University

pinnaclecdc at aol.com pinnaclecdc at aol.com
Thu Apr 30 14:22:13 EDT 2009

Please take advantage of this  free program for African American Males

The  Diabetes Improvement Project is an initiative aimed at assisting
African-American adults with type 2 diabetes to take better control of their
diabetes.  Our work is based on the idea that, in order to improve their
health, people need appropriate knowledge, support, and resources; we have
helped our participants and our communities meet these needs and we would like
to give more people the opportunity to benefit from what we have to offer.
To  participate or get more information, please contact:

REFERENCE:  WANDA BOONE
Michael  Scott
michael.e.scott at duke.edu
919-613-6313
The  Herald-Sun
Keeping  healthy, staying alive
Prevalence of diabetes in Durham especially dire  among black population

Originally  published in: The Herald-Sun Friday, July 28, 2006 Edition:
Final Page: A1
BY GREGORY PHILLIPS gphillips at heraldsun.com, 919-419-6636

Renita  Henry knows how dangerous diabetes can be.
The  51-year-old watched her older brother, Larry Tucker, die in November
of  complications from the disease, and it wasn't pleasant.
"He  was on dialysis and blind," she said.
Henry  was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes eight months before that -- she's
one of five  among nine siblings who have it -- and knows she can't afford
to make the same  mistakes her brother did.
"He  was really in denial about having it," Henry said.
That's  a problem medical providers in Durham -- where one in 12 people is
diabetic --  know all too well.
The  situation is especially dire among the county's black population in
which  diabetes and related complications are the fourth-leading cause of
death. Among  county residents overall, it's the eighth-leading cause of death.

"There  are a lot of people walking around diabetic that don't know about
it," said Gail  Albergo, who runs the adult diabetes clinic at Lincoln
Community Health Center  on Fayetteville Street.
New  cases every day
The  clinic sees one or two new diabetes cases every day and now treats
2,700  diabetics, 60 percent of whom are black.
Although  the poverty rate in the black population is higher, studies
suggest that income  alone doesn't account for an accompanying higher obesity
rate.
While  both are risk factors for diabetes, they can't account for its
prevalence among  black people. Some researchers believe blacks could have a
genetic  predisposition towards the condition.
Diabetes  mellitus -- the disease's full name -- is the failure of the body
to produce  enough insulin, the hormone that allows sugar in the blood to
be absorbed by the  body's cells, which need it for fuel.
Symptoms  include a constant need to urinate, fatigue, shortness of breath,
blurred vision  or wounds not healing. The effects can range from limb loss
to blindness to  kidney failure. And, as in Tucker's case, they can be
fatal.
Sufferers  of Type 1 diabetes (also known as juvenile diabetes), whose
bodies produce no  insulin and rely on daily insulin injections, usually are
diagnosed by the time  they reach adolescence. No one knows for sure what
causes it, but some think it  may be genetic.
Type  2 diabetics have become resistant to insulin and their bodies don't
produce  enough to compensate. People who are overweight and don't exercise
enough are  more likely to contract Type 2 diabetes, which can be controlled
through a  combination of medication, diet and exercise.
Also  known as adult-onset diabetes, it's the condition that causes the
most headaches  for medical providers. Many at-risk people don't realize they
have it -- or  don't want to, even though they may know they're at risk
through family history.
"We  do have patients that have neglected their health," Albergo said.
"They don't  come in until they're really unhealthy."
Reluctance  based on fear
Their  reasons usually are based on fear -- fear of what managing the
condition could  cost them and fear of the loss of limbs, blindness and kidney
damage that can  come along with the condition.
"A  lot of people are afraid if they become diabetic this is their future,"
Albergo  said.
The  tragedy is that needn't happen if the condition is managed properly.
Katoshi  Aashad, 35, developed gestational diabetes while pregnant 12 years
ago.
Although  generally a temporary condition caused by insulin-blocking
placental hormones,  Aashad was left with permanent Type 2 diabetes. For years she
struggled with her  blood sugar, but 2 1/2 years ago Aashad started seeing
a nutritionist from  Lincoln every week.
"I  said I had tried everything and I was really discouraged, but she's
really  helped me," Aashad said. "I don't have to take my shots right now. I
maintain  with diet and exercise."
Aashad  walks and stretches regularly and bakes or broils food instead of
frying it. She  was quick to adjust to a routine of medication, doctor
appointments, diet and  exercise. But some people struggle.
"There's  another segment we just have to step back and work on one thing
at a time," said  social worker Nicole Wheedon.
She  maintains a caseload of around 40 patients from eight medical provider
sites  across the county in the Duke-run Durham Community Health Network.
Healthful  eating
Wheedon,  who helps patients alter their lifestyles to manage diabetes,
said unhealthy  eating habits usually are the hardest to break, whether giving
up full-sugar  sodas or eating fruits and vegetables instead of unhealthy
snacks.
"It's  hard for them to even understand the concept of cutting back,
sometimes,"  Wheedon said.
Adding  to the problem is that patients who don't feel ill sometimes skip
appointments.
"Diabetes  is one of those conditions that doesn't always make you feel
bad," Wheedon said.  "It's out of sight, out of mind."
That  can create a cycle of health complications and subsequent treatment,
followed by  more missed appointments.
"Taking  medication and not coming to see your doctor, that's not going to
work," Albergo  said.
Henry  -- whose diabetes was caught during a routine checkup -- knows that
now and  she's taking no chances.
"I  knew what happened to my brother," she said.
Sodas  and sugary snacks are out; water and walking with a partner is in.
"I'm  doing better drinking water," she said. "At one time I was not a
water drinker.  ... I had to learn all the good things to do."
DURHAM  COUNTY: DIABETES BY THE NUMBERS
A  statewide survey that targeted Durham County for sampling found:
*12,490  county residents -- 8 percent of the population -- diagnosed with
diabetes.
*3,600  with undiagnosed diabetes (estimated).
*8,440  with pre-diabetes.
*1,510  with early "gestational" diabetes.
Of  the county's diagnosed diabetics:
*84  percent are overweight or obese.
*78  percent don't eat five fruits or vegetables per day.
*71  percent don't meet physical activity recommendations.
*11  percent could not afford medications.
*44  percent had received no diabetes education classes.
Source:  Behavior Risk Factor Survey System, State Center for Health
Statistics
©  Copyright 2009. All rights reserved. All material on heraldsun.com is
copyrighted by The Durham Herald Company and may not be reproduced or
redistributed in any medium except as provided in the site's Terms of  Use