[Durham INC] Fw: Urgent -Jordan Lake -- by 5 PM today (Mon, April 4)

Mike Woodard mike at mikewoodard.com
Mon May 4 11:55:04 EDT 2009

I respectfully disagree with Melissa's assessment of the status of
the rules ("watered down"; great pun, Melissa) and ask that you
review the City's website that presents more balance to this
discussion, outlines the City's position (a far more responsible
position than that being presented by some environmental groups), and
discusses some of the implications for Durham taxpayers if all of the
rules are implemented.
http://durhamnc.gov/departments/wm/jordan_lake_rules.cfm

I attended a dinner with Speaker Hackney Saturday and was surprised
to learn how little information he has received about the potential
costs to taxpayers.

I also talked with two elected officials from Orange County
governments yesterday, and I was pleased to learn from them how much
support there is for Durham's position in other local governments all
along the Jordan watershed.

Before you contact your legislators, please read more about this
issue and make up your own mind. This issue requires clear minds and
steady hands, not jerking knees.

Mike Woodard
Durham City Council