[Durham INC] Fw: Jordan Lake Rules

Melissa Rooney mmr121570 at yahoo.com
Mon May 4 16:01:09 EDT 2009

Thanks to Mike and Jan for their constructive comments. I know that Durham Govt's position is a difficult one, particularly in
these economic times. But if we don't pay for it now, we're going to
pay MORE for it in the future, and not just monetarily.

Attached and below is a letter that the Triangle Area Rural Planning Organization, composed of multiple triangle municipalities, sent to Secretary Freeman and state legislators. Note 'TMDL' means 'total maximum daily load' (for nitrogen), and does not necessarily differentiate from existing and future development. Apparently (as stated in the correspondence BELOW, not the one attached), the official Orange County position is in support of the Jordan Lake Rules and the TMDL's therein.

Again, you have until 5 PM today to contact your state legislators and ask them to ensure the Jordan Lake Rules, including TMDL's and retrofit regulations, have REAL TEETH. It may take only 1 generation to destroy the lake, but it will take many generations to restore it, if ever. Thus, it seems prudent to act on the side of caution.

"A Good Plan Executed Right Now is Better than a Perfect Plan Executed Next Week."
--George S. Patton.

Thanks again to everyone for caring!
Melissa (Rooney)