[Durham INC] Thorough report on DPS spending in today's BCR

Pat Carstensen pats1717 at hotmail.com
Tue May 19 16:06:02 EDT 2009

>From comments I have heard from teaching assistants, the number of CLASSROOM TAs has been declining over the last couple years (I guess the idea of TAs could be controversial.  I know that we didn't have TA's in my elementary school but we also did a lot less "active learning."  If you are doing 5 reading groups or 4 math centers, it really helps to have an additional adult to work with the different groups).  In the schools in which I have been, I also haven't seen an over-abundance of assistant principals.  In general, principals have had to balance priorities pretty closely in their schools so I would say that while there is always some "extra" that you could cut (small classes for at risk students, for example), but a lot of the most obvious and ugly "fat" is mandated.

If kindergarden enrollment declines a little, the population may go down, but they are also cutting high school teachers -- and I can't see how fewer kindergardeners will cut the need for high school teachers.  Having recently been in a class with 31 students packed in like sardines, I'm not sure what they would do with 35 students.

Regards, pat